Energy audit at Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) Makerere University College of Health Sciences
Omagor, John Daniel
MetadataShow full item record
This project was carried out at the Infectious Diseases Institute Mulago Facility located at Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Mulago Hospital complex in relation to energy audit of the Institute. The project was motivated as a result of management concern about the high energy cost which consumes about 23% of the operations annual utilities budget thereby affecting other vital operational activities which have to share the remaining 77%. This Audit had an objective of carrying out a detailed energy audit at the facility with a view of identifying the energy saving potential. Specifically, an examination of the energy consuming systems at the facility was carried out to identify energy wastages and energy conservation opportunities within the system followed by an evaluation of the economic and technical practicability of the available opportunities to enable identification of cost-effective energy measures for the institute. Observations, on-site measurements, walk through, interactive discussions with officers at the facility as well as an inventory list collection of energy consuming devices at the facility were used as data collection instruments to enable an in-depth collection of electrical data of all major energy consuming equipment at the sections of the facilities to realistically assess losses and potential for energy savings at the IDI. Data collected was edited, sorted and analyzed by use of computer software Ms Word and Ms Excel and presented using descriptive statistics like frequencies, charts, tables, percentages etc. It was found out that the high energy cost was a result of inaccurate billing system by the service provider (Mulago), poor energy management practices by staff including, operating utilities during non-working hours and running empty fridges hence wastage of energy. Basing on the findings of the study, the identified recommendations were drawn for the management of the IDI to adopt and develop a framework for their effective implementation.